Who are our tips for?
- Everyone who needs to do a tax return.
- Everyone who received ‘Kurzarbeitgeld’ in 2020.
- Everyone who faced unemployment in 2020 due to Corona.
- Colleagues, friends and family of those who were on Kurzarbeitgeld or faced unemployment in 2020.
- HR executives & managers of companies who adopted Kurzarbeit in 2020 or had Corona-related lay-offs
Do I have to file a tax return if I was on Kurzarbeit in 2020?
Yes. To make life easier, let Taxfix file your 2020 taxes.
Do I have to file a tax return if I was unemployed in 2020?
Yes, unless you fall in one of the following categories:
- You had been unemployed long-term
- You did not claim ALG 1
However, if you registered as unemployed in 2020 and received ALG 1, Taxfix can file your 2020 tax-returns.
Do I always have to do a tax return from now on if I’m doing one for the first time this year?
No. Let’s bust that myth.
Is there any way I can reimburse my days spent at home-office days through taxes?
Most likely, you can. Find out if you qualify.
Can I still claim commuter-allowance even if I worked mostly from home?
There’s a possibility you can. Read this to find out.
Are there advantages for families?
Yes! You can find out more here (only available in German).
Is it true that I may have higher tax-returns in 2020?
There’s no straight answer. It needs some calculating. Find out now.
Can Taxfix recommend any smart-tricks to get maximum returns on my 2020 tax-declaration despite Corona?
Yes. The tax-experts at Taxfix have no greater joy than to make the topic of taxes as transparent and simple as possible. Now, let’s get to it…
1. Indicate general lump-sums you can save with.
- Work equipment: 110 €, even if you haven’t spent anything.
- Application costs: 2,50 € per e-mail and 8,50 € per folder
- Telephone and Internet: 20% of the costs limited to 20 €, if you also use it professionally
- Home office: 5 € per day, for a maximum of 120 days. So, no more than 600 €
- Laundry charges for work clothes: Probably bare cents. But, in theory, you can deduct your laundry costs from your taxes.
- Advertising expenses: Even if your costs were not particularly high, the tax office always considers a lump-sum of 1,000 €
2. Download a tax app instead of using ELSTER or paying a tax consultant!
Tax apps like Taxfix, provide a step-by-step guide to tax-returns. Their questions address many of these lump-sums to get the maximum returns from your tax-declaration. Unlike ELSTER, you’ll get additional tips to get additional taxes refunds. To top it all, they only cost a fraction of what a tax accountant would charge. The app is available in English, which is god-sent for expats working in Germany.