Fixed deductions and tax exemption

Fixed deductions (Pauschbeträge) and tax exemptions (Freibeträge) reduce the taxable income and, thus, your tax burden. In this post, we explain how child allowance, flat-rate allowance for income-related expenses and the like and how you can receive them.


    What's the difference between tax exemption (Freibetrag) and fixed deduction (Pauschbetrag)?

    Tax exemptions and fixed deductions simplify your life and that of tax authorities by simplifying your tax return. If certain tax-related values remain below prescribed amounts, you do not have to tax your income or prove your expenses.

    Prepare your own tax return


    For anyone who wants to file an easy and secure tax return themselves. Free refund calculation, pay only upon submission.

    Receive an advance calculation of your refund and pay only when you turn it in

    Guided and intuitive process with simple questions

    Automatic data retrieval: simply retrieve your income data from the tax office and have it pre-filled

    The general deadline applies (September 02)

    €59.99 for married couples or registered partnerships looking to file a tax return together

    Get your tax assessment for free and only pay when you submit your return

    Our Expert Service does it for you

    From €69.99

    For those who are unsure or can't find the time – hand your taxes to an expert.

    Provide a few necessary documents in minutes

    An independent tax advisor will prepare and submit your tax return for you

    Personalised document upload: Only submit documents that are completely necessary

    Detailed check of your information

    Benefit from an extended tax deadline (June 2nd, 2025)

    Handover, pay, relax.


    What are tax exemptions (Freibeträge)?

    These are amounts for specific expenses or income that are not taxed. They are either deducted or defined when taxation begins. Only the portion of these expenses exceeding the tax allowance is taxed. This value is not to be confused with an exemption limit. If this is exceeded, the entire amount must be taxed.

    Example: If your income is below the basic tax-free allowance of 10,908 euros (2023), you don’t have to pay income tax. A standard income tax is only calculated on an income higher than this limit.


    Value in 2022

    Basic tax-free allowance (Grundfreibetrag)

    EUR 10,347 

    Kinderfreibetrag + Freibetrag für Betreuungs-, Erziehungs- und Ausbildungsbedarf (Paar)

    EUR 8,548 

    Relief amount for single parents (Entlastungsbetrag für Alleinerziehende)

    EUR 4,008 + EUR 240 for every additional child


    EUR 1,200 


    EUR 3,000 


    EUR 840





    Scan your income tax certificate, and you're done!

    Get it early! Submit now so the tax office takes care of your tax return early. Simply upload your income tax certificate and answer the simple questions.

    Start now for free


    Explained: Most important fixed deductions (Pauschbeträge) for the employed

    Basic tax-free allowance (Grundfreibetrag)

    The Grundfreibetrag is the annual basic allowance, which is tax-free. So if you earned less than 10,908 euros after deduction of costs or lump sums, you do not pay income tax. Double the amounts apply to married couples.

    How do you get it? Automatically. Your employer takes it into account when calculating your income tax.

    Childcare allowance (Kinderfreibetrag)

    The state relieves families with children with the childcare allowance. In the year 2023, parents are entitled to a tax allowance of 9,312 euros per child. This amount consists of:

    • 2,928 euros for care, education and training
    • 5,620 euros for the material subsistence level of the child

    In the case of individually assessed couples, each partner is entitled to half the child allowance.

    How do I get it? The tax allowance will only be taken into account by the tax office if the tax savings from the deduction of the allowance are higher than the child benefit paid out. This is usually the case with a high tax rate, i.e. a high income, and is indicated when the tax return is submitted using the cheaper check or ‘Günstigerprüfung’ checked automatically. (More information at: Apply for child benefit or child allowance)

    Important fixed deductions at a glance

    Single parents are usually more financially burdened. Therefore, for 2023, as in the previous year, they can deduct a tax relief amount of 4,260 euros from their income. An amount of 240 euros is added for each additional child living in the household.

    How do I get it? Simply apply for it when you submit your tax return. If you have the tax class II, it will automatically be taken into account in your income tax calculation.


    The Taxfix app knows the necessary allowances and fixed deductions to help you claim optimised tax returns.

    Relocation allowance (Umzugskostenpauschale)

    Are you a volunteer? for Do you engage in voluntary activities in a youth club or an animal protection association? Then, you have 2023 an annual tax allowance of 870 euros.

    How do I get it? You enter the voluntary work allowance in the Taxfix question flow when prompted or enter it in your tax return.

    Special Expenses Allowance

    Every year, the tax office automatically deducts a flat rate of 36 euros for Special expenses from taxable income if no other special expenses were specified. For couples assessed together, it is 72 euros.

    How do I get it? Automatically – higher costs (e.g. Insurance premiumsChild care costs or donations) you can deduct by simply answering the respective questions in the Taxfix app or by stating it in your tax return via ELSTER.

    Deduct your fixed deductions accurately from taxes and keep saving—it’s easy with Taxfix. Start for free now!

    Length of Absence

    Lump-sum (2023)

    8 hours onwards


    24 hours onwards


    Day of arrival or departure


    About Taxfix

    With Taxfix, you can complete your tax returns from 2019-2022, in no time at all. No tax knowledge is necessary – simply choose to complete your Taxfix tax return yourself, or have an independent tax advisor do it for you. What are you waiting for?

    Start now